Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Keeping it up" on a trip.....

As I had a dental emergency but didn't want to pay the relatively expensive co-pay to have it done locally, I got my SWA Rapid Reward ticket out and flew to California yesterday where my dentist brother did it for me without charging me the co-pay. (Hurrah for generous, loving siblings....)

So, dashing out the door in a whirlwind of arrangements, I took nothing but my purse and a book, but grabbed some food to eat on the plane and hoped I could maintain my eating and exercising patterns on a rushed, last-minte trip while having terrific pain throbbing through the left side of my face, and staying with my sister-in-law who always has such good home-made food at her home. I passed on the "famous" SWA peanuts and was thrilled with my can of tomato juice and ice water.

Amazingly, I DID IT!! I returned home today relaxed, buoyed up by the Californina springtime and the visit with family and I stayed within my "calorie budget"-- which even allowed for a delicious, small, homemade cinnamon roll and a half-slice of Lonna's homemade wheat bread. AND I'm free of the extreme tooth pain...

After a light breakfast this morning, Lonna and I went on a one hour power walk and worked with her weights for another 30 minutes while catching up on each other and our children. She had great salad makings and tunafish for a quick lunch before I left to catch my flight, and I wasn't at all tempted to have another cinnamon roll for either breakfast or lunch even though they were readily available and in plain sight on the kitchen counter.

It's so easy to slip into "vacation" mode or "but I'm sick and in pain" excuse-making. Under any other situation, I would have not stuck to my program, but because I have "given myself" to the heart challenge and made it a TOP priority, I was able to gently remind myself that I deserved to nurture myself with good food and exercise, ESPECIALLY when I was in pain and on a trip. I needed the positive flow of energy and self-approval to make me feel "at my best"; I have learned that in these past few weeks and I want to remember and practice those habits for the rest of my life.

Thank you UVRMC!! Thanks to (my intern-trainer) Whitney, Traci, Jolaine, and Janet and all the others who are carrying out this wonderful program and servicing us "challengers". You're changing our lives and, literally, changing our hearts--we are grateful and we love you for all you do for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment